I'm loving Angels instead...

In the middle of the night, Dan told me he was very cold. I clutched my panic alarm silently and pulled the covers closer. Thankfully, my bed was never breached and I live to tell the story of Day 1.

It started hazy as the sounds of the early morning dump truck blended with the wave sounds from Dan's iphone. In my dreams the beach morphed into landfill.

Everyone was twitchy and ready to go. Bruce handed out the ceremonial banana to a guy who forgot his wheel.






Dan and I were Angels today.  As Rick Lawley said, if you were to go to heaven and I was there to meet you, you'd probably double check your surroundings. But it's more about how you act than how you look. The angels job is to stay at the back and make sure there's no one left behind. And though I don't make a song and dance about it, it was perfect for me as I'm basically a stand out kind of bloke that always puts others first. It was actually very interesting. I kept at the back for pretty much the whole day, waiting for various punctures and other minor mechanical issues. We'd then ride with them till they were back in the group and we'd drop back to whoever was in need of help. I got to meet a ton of people I may never have ridden with if it weren't for this role. There was a pact made not to talk in detail about Tim Katz's flat tire that required four of us to use up 2 inner tubes and 2 Co2 canisters.


How oily are Tim's hands?


Tacos and Mexican coke revived us for lunch.




We did 92 mies and around 5500 ft of climbing, hugging the coast before turning left and taking a beautiful but unpaved road through hilly farmland. The route is a little more bumpy than it was four years ago but better for it. I live to ride another day.







Comments

Popular Posts