It's on again.


 I wanted to send you all this account of my efforts, as you are all, in part, stakeholders in me as a rider. I have to finish to honor every dollar you have donated to this cause. And this is my gift to you all: The uniquely funny and modest take I have on the world as I ride through it.  Enjoy my wit, my observations and the microscopic attention to naval fluff and digestive issues in the next 6 days.
This will be my second time riding this particular journey.  I am sure you are all too familiar with my previous blog posts. Who could forget my account of one of the riders getting stung by a bee last time? I know I can't.



Rick Lawley: We have a truck and it's this big"





















After a soporific few days staying at my friends Dan and Jo's lovely house in Sherman Oaks, the game is on. We checked into the Holiday Inn, Mill Valley.  Lots of new faces at dinner, all of them open and friendly, except the waiter's when I passed on a second offering of the luke-warm gnats piss passing as coffee. Lots of familiar faces too: Dan and Charlie, the two young fit ones who I could never catch. Tim K from London, amongst others. The group felt full or warmth and as jerseys were handed out  there was time for each person to talk about themselves and who they were riding for. We all have a soft underbelly, the part you don't expose too quickly, or maybe even keep hidden in perpetuity. There was more soft underbelly on display here than on a warm Saturday at St. James' park during a home game.


The closest I will get to Dave and Charlie all week.



Having spent some time trying to organise a ride in NY myself I have new-found respect for those that give up their time to support us too. So hats off to Bruce, Allison, Tara and Crystal as well as all the other people that give their time for absolutely nothing in return. Everyone is bringing something to the party, a collective energy. We look forward tomorrow with lots of anticipation and positivity.  Tara has decided that Dan and I will be 'Angels' tomorrow. This means we ride at the back of the group and make sure there's no one left behind. I think this is more of a gesture to help us rather than anyone else, as now we have an excuse to ride slow and sit at the back, pretending we are helping other people. Till then I will sleep well now that Dan has put on the soothing sounds of crashing waves for us to sleep to.

.


Oh . And I shaved my legs




Dan contemplates life on the road



Comments

Popular Posts